On the podcast, we talk a lot about gear, influences, songs we love, and more. Well 'Gear and more' is your directory of things we love at BPM Pod.
All links are external to websites for merchandise, band information, and songs I featured in the episodes. These links are created at my discretion and are not paid for. If they do become sponsored one day, I will say.
Links are broken into the following sub-sections:
- Recording Equipment
- Tracks of the week
These are instruments I love, instruments I use, and ones I recommend. Most of these point to the site Thomann, as it tends to offer the best deals. Thomann do not sponsor these links.
- Epiphone 335 Dot: One of the best instruments I own. Cheap, looks great, plays great, and is pretty damn cool.
- Martin D-15 acoustic: One of the best guitars I have ever played. It is too expensive for me, but a friend has one (which I called "a pile of shit" the first time I saw it) before realising it is a Martin, and it is amazing.
- Yamaha P125: The next one up from the digital piano I currently own (Yamaha P105). I need to upgrade and, if/when I do, this will be the one I upgrade too. Light, sounds decent enough, and does not break the bank.
Check back for more featured products
- Zoom H6: My go-to portable recorder. Can take six inputs, easy to transport, simple to set up, and sounds great. Well worth the money and it might be the best gadget I have ever bought.
- Rode NTA1 (vocal package): My first microphone adventure with RODE, and it won't be my last. Excellent quality and value. The podcast is primarily recorded with these mics.
Tracks of the week
Again, none of these links are sponsored. I am just sharing the love.
- Baloji, Soleil De Volt: Fun, vibrant pop track with Afrobeat influences and a modern soul drive.
- Bibio, Curls: Soft, subtle melodies carry this song straight to your heart. A song for lovers, indeed.
- Go Go Penguin, Bardo: Jazzy masterpiece from this three-piece gem
- Maggie Rogers, Light On: Pop music at its finest. Well mixed, nicely written, solid lyrics and a memorable melody.
- Ólafur Arnalds, Árbakkinn: Soul-destroyingly beautiful. Love this track. It will grind you down but will be worth every second. Sublime.
- Phoenix, Bourgeois: Stunningly arranged, powerful synth-driven number from this often overlooked band.
- Phospherescent, Around the Horn: The best track from Phospherescent's great album C'est La Vie. Check it out.
- Tihomir Zdjelarević, Mikrowelt: The very first album reviewed on BPM Pod. Great set of songs here for electronic music fans.
- Tourist, Emily: Amazing ambient dance track for midnight drives and slow beach walks
- Vampire Weekend, Harmony Hall: Very cool guitar driven song from one of the best sounding bands around today.
- White Reaper, Judy French: Stunning punk-rock mixed with classic-rock track from a very underrated band. Their album 'The World's Best American Band' was my fave of 2017.